ChristchurchNZ came into being on 1st July 2017, bringing together Christchurch & Canterbury Tourism (CCT), Canterbury Development Corporation (CDC), International Education, the Convention Bureau and the Christchurch City Council’s Major Events team.
The new entity will be fully owned by the Christchurch City Council and will support the Council’s vision for the city:
Christchurch is a city of opportunity, a place that is open to new ideas, new people and ways of doing things – a place where anything is possible.
ChristchurchNZ will work to optimise the economic and social opportunities that tourism, major events, city promotion and economic development can bring to Christchurch and Canterbury.
This will be achieved by:
- Providing leadership
- Developing a strong positive city profile
- Promoting the city to residents, national and international audiences
- Attracting visitors, migrants, students, new business and investment through integrated marketing, major events and conferences
- Ensuring the business environment supports successful and sustainable enterprise and encourages creativity and innovation.
ChristchurchNZ has an independent board, monitored by the Council’s Finance and Performance Committee. Board members are:
- Dr Therese Arseneau (Chair)
- Dr Grant Ryan
- Louise Edwards
- Raewyn Idoine
- Dave Hawkey
- Cr Tim Scandrett
- Cr Andrew Turner
- Kaila Colbin
- Laura Meriluoto